About Me

My photo
Blessed to have played all of the top 100 courses in Canada (SCOREGolf 2016). Completed Oct 7, 2018, at the age of 26. 98/100 played on SCOREGolf 2018, 2020 and 2022 lists. Continuing to chase top 100 contenders, and other greats around the world.

Thursday 18 June 2015

Quick Update From PEI!

I have reached the midpoint of my time in Atlantic Canada! 2 rounds in the books (Dundarave, Green Gables), 2 rounds remaining (Algonquin, Crowbush Cove)

The island was hit with record breaking snowfall this past winter, and many courses have struggled to recover. Dundarave had 6 temporary greens in play, as many were damaged beyond repair and have been undergoing extensive re-sodding. I was still able to see all of the course, and get a good feel for how it would normally play. Green Gables also had a fair amount of damage from the winter, but all greens were in play and rolled reasonably well. Here is a small taste of what I have seen so far!

10th at Green Gables
Signature 16th at Green Gables (and a rare inclusion of yours truly)

While at Dundarave, a serendipitous circumstance brought me in touch with a fellow golf blogger! My new friend only recently discovered the world of golf, and seems to be even more addicted to it than I am (which is difficult to wrap my head around). She already has some of the craziest stories, and certainly has plenty more to come. If you'd like to be a part of her awesome golfing adventures I'd strongly encourage you to check out her blog! www.fairwayfoodie.wordpress.com

On a side note, I am nearly finished my write up on Priddis Greens! I will be posting soon, stay tuned for what's to come!


'Til next time, keep your stick on the ice!

The Golfing Canuck

8 comments:

  1. Hello my new golfing buddy, thanks for the recommendation. We'll have to get together to play a round when I am back in Canada next year - unless you travel to Australia before then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dude, Tiff put me on to your cool blog. Are you on Twitter yet?! :D

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, I'm excited to read/hear about your travels! Australia is definitely near the top of my list, but I'm not sure I will make it there by next year. I'd be happy to play some golf with you in western Canada!

      Jeremy, I'm not on twitter yet but, now that I'm home from my PEI trip I will be taking care of that very soon!

      Delete
    3. GC, is there a "Top Public Courses" list for Canada? I'm populating the Connect Golf course directory for Canada and figured that many of the courses I'm adding from your list are not easily accessible to the humble casual golfer.

      Delete
    4. Scoregolf Canada only has a "Top 59 Public Courses" list (of which I have played 25). I haven't made this list the focus of my blog for a few reasons. First, in my pursuit of the top 100 I am merely seeking the 'ultimate golf experience'. It is the experience that I'm really chasing, not the check on the list, and the best courses (public or private) often provide that rush. Second, as I play these courses, many of which can't be accessed by the general public, I try to give a glimpse into what is hidden behind closed doors. Lastly, as much as I am an advocate for Canadian golf, I don't believe there are 100 elite public courses in the country (nice, but not elite). By limiting the public courses I write about to those in the top 100 I try to give a good indication of what the best destinations are.

      That being said, would you like me to include this Top 59 list? I can hyperlink the same articles from my Top 100 list in a way that would separate the 'courses you can play'

      Delete
    5. All good mate. I totally get the pursuit of the experience, so the private courses are part of that. I've found the link to the SCOREgolf top 59 and Mike from 36aday blog has also put me on to the Canadian Golf Magazine top 50. It certainly supports the your notion there aren't enough for a top 100. How many courses does Canada have in total?

      Just out of interest, how are you getting on with Oviinbyrd and Redtail? I had to be really clever with maps to even find those courses, so getting a round there must be tough.

      Delete
    6. Sorry for the delay in responding!

      I can't say I'm really sure just how many courses Canada has.

      I currently have no way of getting on some of the extremely exclusive courses like Oviinbyrd and Redtail, but I understand that it takes a long time to complete the list. I've already learned that patience pays off, and that opportunities will arise as I continue to pursue my goals. I've also focused more of my attention on Western Canada to this point, as I've found more opportunities closer to home. I have no doubt that I will have the privilege of seeing Eastern Canada's best courses as I shift my focus from the West.

      Delete
  2. I see you two have met and probably have worked out I have spoken to you both about each other and who the other is.

    ReplyDelete